We’ve all planned for a great, sunny beach day and then it rains cats and dogs the whole time! This can be a bummer, especially when you are wanting to spend some quality time in the sun with family and friends and catch a few waves. But, don’t get the doldrums. Instead, refer to this list of things to do if you’re stuck inside some of the days you’re on vacation. Some are technology-based, while others are more old-fashioned or traditional, which can be fun too.
Rainy Day Vacation Activities
Rainy Day Activities to Save Your Vacation
- Play chess. Yes, good old-fashioned chess with a board and everything! So much of our lives are tied to technology. Why not break away from it once in awhile by getting out an old board game. Chess is universal and traditional. If it’s just you and your spouse, it can be a romantic experience, as you stare at each other over the chess pieces waiting for someone to make a move. And remember, it’s not whether you win or lose that matters, but how you play the game. (We’ve included a chess “how to” video below and the link to the digital version for those unable to stay able from the digital environment for even a day!)
- Read. We’ve mentioned this before. It seems we have little or no time for reading during the daily activities of life. Vacation time is time that you can gain back some of this leisure time to spend time doing things you want to do but don’t normally have the time for.
- Watch a movie in your room. Find a movie you’ve been wanting to see and watch it with your family or spouse. Download a new app or game and just enjoy doing nothing. You’ll be surprised how refreshing this can be and everyone needs some “down time” while traveling.
- Swim in the hotel pool. There’s hardly anything as refreshing as a refreshing swim anytime of day or night in your hotel or lodging quarters. Swimming uses every major muscle group in your body, so it’s a great workout. It also relaxes you and helps you sleep better. You’ll also want to check out the hot tub or jacuzzi, which will relax you even further so you’ll rest more deeply.
- Go to the lobby and talk to other guests. While you will want to use caution when doing this and not just talk to “anyone,” many people are also on vacation who end up being great casual conversation partners. I’ve often been at a hotel restaurant and a couple will start talking to my mom and dad about the area, the cost of gas, and what to do in the area. People like to talk so this is a great way to meet new people and share experiences if you can’t get out.
Rainy Day Recap
These 5 activities are just a few that you can do if you find yourself waylaid while on vacation due to weather or other unforeseen events. It’s never fun to be stuck in your room and unable to enjoy your vacation, but remember, ‘the sun will come out tomorrow,’ so in the meantime, just relax and enjoy the ride.